What Georgia Home Buyers and Sellers Should Know About Radon
- Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas.
- Radon exposure causes 21,000 deaths in the U.S. each year.
- EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes for radon.
- EPA recommends sellers test for radon before listing their home.
- EPA recommends buyers test for radon if sellers have not conducted a reliable test within the past two years.
U.S. Surgeon General Health Advisory
“Indoor radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the Unites States and breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country. It’s important to know that this threat is completely preventable. Radon can be detected with a simple test and fixed through well-established venting techniques.” January 2005